9. Bartel, SL, JT Schamel, BA Parrino, MK Marshall, JL Orrock (In press). Channel Island foxes (Urocyon littoralis) are viable seed-dispersal agents of toyon (Heteromelus arbutifolia). Western North American Naturalist.
8. Bartel, SL, JL Orrock (2022). The important role of animal social status in vertebrate seed dispersal. Ecology Letters. reprint
7. Bartel, SL, JL Orrock (2021). Past agricultural land use affects multiple facets of ungulate antipredator behavior. Behavioral Ecology 32(5) 961-969. reprint
6. Brudvig, LA, NE Turley, SL Bartel, L Bell-Dereske, S Breland, EI Damschen, SE Evans, J Gibbs, PG Hahn, R Isaacs, JA Ledvina, JL Orrock, QM Sorenson, JD Stuhler. Large ecosystem-scale effects of restoration fail to mitigate impacts of land-use legacies in longleaf pine savannas. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences of the United States of America 118(17) e2020935118. reprint
5. Bartel, SL, JL Orrock (2021). An omnivorous mesopredator modifies predation of omnivore-dispersed seeds. Ecosphere 12(2) e03369. reprint
4. Bartel, SL, JL Orrock (2020). Past and present disturbances generate spatial variation in seed predation. Ecosphere 11(5) e03116. reprint
3. Guiden PW, SL Bartel, NW Byer, AA Shipley, JL Orrock (2019). Predator-prey interactions in the Anthropocene: Reconciling multiple aspects of novelty. Trends in Ecology & Evolution 34 616-627. reprint
Manuscripts in review
Bartel, SL, JL Orrock. Land-use history, fire regime, and large-mammal herbivory affect deer-preferred plant diversity in longleaf pine woodlands.
Bartel, SL, L Hakkila*, JL Orrock. Edge geometry mediates deer responses to conservation corridors.
Manuscripts in prep: Advanced drafts of first-authored papers available upon request
Bartel, SL, JC Kilgo, JL Orrock. White-tailed deer responses to acoustic predator cues are contingent upon past land use and contemporary fire regime.
Bartel, SL. Social environment and time of day affect individual foraging decisions of a solitary forager, Canis latrans.
*Undergraduate mentee author